Gastroenterology in New Jersey
Gastroenterology is a subspecialty of Internal Medicine that focuses on the digestive system. As a highly experienced gastroenterologist, Dr. Shaikh has a unique insight into the anatomical functions of organs that are affected by bariatric surgery. At the Center for Bariatric Endoscopy, the “Premiere Bariatric Surgical Institute in New Jersey”, located in Montclair, Dr. Shaikh offers the latest technique in bariatric repair surgery – endoscopic bariatric repair surgery to patients in New Jersey and around the world.
What is Gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is an Internal Medicine subspecialty that includes the anatomical structures of the digestive system. As an expert in gastroenterology, Dr. Shaikh diagnoses and treats conditions that affect the:
- Small intestine, colon, and rectum
- Bile ducts
Dr. Shaikh is also a leader in the field of endoscopic bariatric repair surgery. The combination of his experience and expertise in these fields gives you the confidence you need in your obesity management.
Benefits of Gastroenterology Services
Gastroenterology benefits patients who experience a range of medical conditions that are associated with the digestive system, including:
- Barrett’s esophagus
- Malabsorption and other nutritional disorders
- Cancers of the colon and bowel
- Pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
- Peptic ulcers
- Biliary tract disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Colon polyps
What Gastroenterology Services are Available?
As the leader of the Center for Bariatric Endoscopy, Dr. Shaikh offers a holistic approach to gastroenterology and bariatric interventions. Dr. Shaikh performs several diagnostic tests for the digestive system, including
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) An esophagogastroduodenoscopy, or EGD, is a standard gastroenterology procedure that is used to diagnose and treat many of the most common gastrointestinal disorders. The procedure involves inserting a long, flexible tube into your mouth. The camera and light on the end of the tube allow Dr. Shaikh to examine your esophagus, stomach and upper section of the small intestine.
- Colonoscopy A colonoscopy is recommended for diagnosing many common conditions that occur in the colon and lower section of the small intestine. A long, flexible tube is used for the procedure. The tube has a camera and light that allows Dr. Shaikh to identify conditions such as diverticulitis and hemorrhoids. He may also take biopsies of or remove polyps and other suspected cancer lesions.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic ERCP Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP involves the use of a side-viewing scope to access and treat conditions involving the liver and pancreas.
- Diagnostic Endoscopic Ultrasound A variety of conditions are diagnosed using diagnostic endoscopic ultrasound, such as cancers of the intestinal tract. Dr. Shaikh may also take samples of lesions during the procedure.
- Double Balloon Enteroscopy Double balloon enteroscopy involves using a long balloon-assisted endoscope for the treatment and management of conditions affecting the small intestine, pancreas, and biliary bile ducts. Dr. Shaikh also recommends double balloon enteroscopy for managing strictures and certain types of bleeding.
- Drainage of Fluid and Abscesses Fluid that builds up after surgery or as a result of certain medical conditions may need to be drained to enhance healing and prevent further complications. Dr. Shaikh drains fluid build-up using an ultrasound-guided device. The procedure often prevents patients from undergoing additional surgeries.
- Endoscopic Ampullectomy Endoscopic ampullectomy is an alternative treatment for removing ampullary adenomas. Certain patients may be candidates for the procedure, thus avoiding traditional surgical Whipple procedures. Most patients are discharged the same day as the procedure.
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection Colonic, esophageal and other lesions are typically treated with invasive surgery. An endoscopic mucosal resection offers exceptional results for candidate patients.
- Enteral Stenting Stent placement along the digestive tract has been clinically proven to treat both benign and malignant strictures effectively.
- Feeding Tube Procedures Dr. Shaikh uses endoscopic procedures to place percutaneous gastrostomy and jejunostomy feeding tubes along the digestive tract.
- Laparoscopy Assisted Endoscopic Interventions Endoscopic techniques enhance traditional surgical interventions to improve patient quality of care.
- Radiofrequency Ablation Dr. Shaikh offers radiofrequency ablation as an alternative and highly effective treatment for dysplasia associated with Barrett’s esophagus.
- Hemorrhoid Treatment Dr. Shaikh uses bands, or cautery, as well as other techniques for the treatment of hemorrhoids. The procedure often allows patients to avoid more extensive and invasive surgery.
Preparing for Gastroenterology Services
Some gastroenterology tests require the use of general anesthesia. Dr. Shaikh may order blood work and other tests prior to your procedure. Many procedures require you to fast the night before your appointment. We provide you with detailed pre-operative instructions when you schedule the procedure.
Recovery from Gastroenterology Services
Most gastroenterology procedures only require that you remain in our facility for a few hours. This allows us to monitor your progress as the effects of anesthesia subside. In most cases, Dr. Shaikh discusses the results of your procedure before you leave. You should return home after you are released and rest for the remainder of the day. Most gastroenterology procedures do not require any additional recovery protocols.
How Much Do Gastroenterology Services Cost?
Gastroenterology services are generally covered by your medical insurance. You should verify coverage before your appointment. You may be responsible for a co-payment, deductible or co-insurance. We offer financing through CareCredit® and Advance Care Card.
Are Gastroenterology Services Right for Me?
Your primary care physician typically refers you to a gastroenterologist as needed. Referrals are typically made in cases where other treatment options have failed or produced inadequate results.
Why Choose Dr. Sohail N. Shaikh for Gastroenterology Services?
Dr. Sohail Shaikh is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and American Board of Gastroenterology. His background includes a Gastroenterology Fellowship at Saint Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in New Jersey where he currently serves as the Gastroenterology Fellowship Program Director. Dr. Shaikh is recognized amongst his peers for his contributions to gastroenterology as well as endoscopic bariatric repair surgery.
What to Expect During Your Gastroenterology Consultation
During your consultation with Dr. Shaikh, he performs a thorough physical examination. He also reviews your primary care medical record. He may then recommend gastroenterology procedures to diagnose and treat conditions that are associated with your digestive tract.
Dr. Sohail Shaikh is an expert in the field of gastroenterology. His work at the Center for Bariatric Endoscopy has advanced the fields of gastroenterology, bariatric surgery, and endoscopic bariatric repair surgery. If you would like more information about our services and Dr. Shaikh, please contact him today.
“Individual results may vary. Results are not guaranteed with this or any other procedure. Any weight loss procedure should be accompanied with nutritional counseling and an appropriate diet and exercise program.”